Home | WebMail | Register or Login

      Calgary | Regions | Local Traffic Report | Advertise on Action News | Contact

Montreal

Quebec Liberals deny accusations they're 'anti women'

The Quebec Liberals are vigorously defending themselves from accusations their government has been encouraging various forms of violence against women.

Parti Qubcois accuses government of waging violence against women through budget cuts

Carole Poirier, the Parti Qubcois's status of women critic, refused to back down from her comments accusing the government of violence against women. (Radio-Canada)

The Quebec Liberals are vigorously defending themselves from accusations their government has been encouraging violence against women through reckless budget cuts.

That was the accusation leveled at the Liberals by the Parti Qubcois'sstatus of womencritic during a legislative committee hearing on Friday. The committee was examining provisions in the recent budget for women's issues.

Ina written submission to the committee,CarolePoirier criticized the funding levels the government had allottedforthe Secrtariat la condition fminine, which funds women'sinitiatives.

"Let's not mince words," Poirier said."For two years, this governmenthasbeen encouragingacts of violence and sexist discrimination, which can be physical, psychological, verbal, economic, social and political."

The accusation left oneLiberal member of thecommittee speechless. Marie-Claude Nichols, visibly flustered, managed to say that she was "completely taken aback."

"I am withoutwords,"Nichols said in response toPoirier's remarks. "I simply can't believe it."

No backing down

ButPoirier refused to back away from her comments after the committee session ended. Speaking to reporters afterwards, she accused the government of being "anti-women" by virtue of its funding cuts to women's groups.

"I won't apologize because these are facts,"Poirier said.

ANALYSIS:After NathalieNormandeauarrest, decorum meltdown at National Assembly

She was joined in her criticism by Qubec Solidaire MNAManon Mass, who argued the Liberals were committing "economic violence" against women by adopting austerity measures in their budget.

Women's groups also left the committee session with harsh words for the government. The head of the Quebec Women's Federation,MlanieSarazin, echoed descriptions of the Liberals as "anti-women."

"We are disappointed, we are shocked," said Sarazin of the lack of financial support for women's issues.

Status of Women Minister Lise Thriault accused the Opposition of playing partisan politics with women's issues. (Radio-Canada)

Playing politics?

The governmentminister responsible for the status of women,Lise Thriault, defended the Liberals'record, and claimed the opposition was playing partisan politics with women's issues.

"By accusing the Quebec government of attacking the physical, psychological and sexual integrity of Quebec women,thePartiQubcois'srepresentativeis demonstrating bad faith and intellectual dishonesty that isunbecoming of a parliamentarian,"Thriaultsaid in a statement released Friday evening.

"She is demonstratinga lack of respect towards our democratic institutions that iswithout equal."

The Secrtariat la conditionfminine also released a statement on Friday, pointing it out it has given $6.5 million over the past two years to women's groups across the province.

Thriault fell afoul of women's groups earlier this year when she refused to describe herself as a feminist. The resulting outcry prompted her to revise her initial position, saying she wasa feminist "in her own way."

Sarazin recalled the controversy upon leaving the committee session, saying the government lacked a "feminist vision."

With files from La Presse Canadienne and Ryan Hicks